Monday, October 27, 2008

What's the title picture?

Somebody asked me about the picture at the top of my blog. It's a photo I took from the Hayden Peak Overlook on the Mirror Lake Road in the Uinta (pronounced you-IN-ta) Mountains of NE Utah. The big craggy mountain is Hayden Peak, 12,479' high. It's named after Ferdinand Hayden, who did a very early geological survey of the Uintas in about 1870. In the foreground is Moosehorn Lake, about 7.2 acres, and very high - 10,380'! If you're lucky, you can catch rainbow or albino trout in the lake.

The High Uintas constitute one of my favorite places in the world. Just going up there for a few hours lowers my blood pressure about ten points, and is enough to make the world look and feel better, no matter what's going on. There are literally thousands of lakes in the area, and a lot of hikes to get to them. Look, for example, at http://www.go-utah.com/Uinta-Mountains/Hiking/

I talked on a plane ride today with a woman from Omaha who had thought that all of Utah was a flat, dry desert. The Uintas are my answer to people who think that way!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

great pictures, love it!

Unknown said...

Very fine......

Fred said...

Christopher has been to the top of Hayden Peak!